Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Take the shirt off my . . . well, the shoes off my feet that is.

There is that old saying that when you love/ respect someone enough, you would be willing to "take the shirt off your back" for that person. But, its just a figure of speech right? WRONG! Very rarely will someone actually up and take their shirt off because of their immense respect for you, but this rarity does reveal itself; many times, with other articles of clothing as well.

Story:

Brandon Burnham, to me, is one of those friends that you really respect and always get a good vibe around. He maintains an awesome balance of being funny, while at the same time holding his dignity and being polite. Despite my high level of respect for this guy, we don't really hang out. Nonetheless, I revere him as a good friend and one who who I really respect.
I saw Brandon at a friend's house a few weeks ago and as a group of us were sitting on the couch chatting, I noticed Brandon's black Italian shoes. I said, "Brandon, I really like those shoes dude. It's hard to find a good pair of black leather shoes . . . and you have done it my friend." << This is where it gets good >> Without hesitation, Brandon took his shoes off and said, "You know what, I want you to have them. Really!" I was clearly taken off guard by his offer. Give me his shoes??? Why would he so willingly give me his shoes? I responded stating that he clearly must not be serious. Sure enough, he was serious. When I asked him how could he go home in just his socks, he simply stated that walking to his car in his socks then from his car to his house in his socks wouldn't be a problem.
I went home with a new pair of shoes that night. I guess I truly know Brandon Burnham now. I mean, after all, I have probably walked a mile in his shoes. Thank you Brandon. I guess, on a more serious note, I did learn something from his outright willingness to give up something that he enjoyed at a moment's notice. Doing such a thing for another had never crossed my mind until that night. He taught me a great lesson. Thanks Brandon!

Oh, I think he also may suffer from some serious overpronation . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment