Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Beginning

I am tired of facebook . . . will I still use it? Yes. Is it effective to establish a large 'breadth' of friends and stay in contact with them? Yes. It serves a good purpose. But, I think facebook kinda falls inline with what it is that I am trying to avoid and that is the state of always being connected. Yes, the world toutes the state of technology and the ability that we have to remain connected at all times. I think I have seen myself and others at times lose site or lose "connection" with who they really are and what they want from life from being so connected socially and/or feeling that they need to be doing something with someone at every moment of every day or have plans every night. I've been there and after a while it sucks! You see the same people night after night and facebook pic after facebook pic doing the same stuff. You'll see them at a party and they give the cordial greeting and then back the grind of . . . of . . . nothing. everybody goes home, gets texts about other things that are going on tomorrow and its back to the same old same old. We try to 'trace' normalcy by being fun and outgoing and connected, when in reality, this life style is very abnormal and at times, desensitizing. In a young single adult atmosphere, yes that is essentially what I write about being I am in it, I write about this specifically because most everyone in this demographic are doing very important things for their future. School, work/career, having fun/partying. All very important things. But, one thing unifies all of those things and it's "I" or "Me". They are solely based around you and your timetable. I speak very generally of course, but I see a lot growing up in people btwn the ages of 18 - 23, but lately I've seen a lot of "growing down" of people in their mid to late twenties. Why is that? We all know what we need to do to be happy and what creates lasting happiness. I just wish I saw more of it. I wish I saw more people living what they know. Yes, many of these observations are very limited in their nature, but let's all be honest, we all know exactly what I'm talking about. Party after party, text after text, facebook invite after facebook invite, looking at other people's facebooks for . . . oops, hours! and you leave all of those things thinking, that was fun, he or she is so hot, or looking for a reason to leave or bail to go to a better party. And then when you are at home on your bed, all alone, you see yourself, but no, hold on, you REALLY see yourself. You see that you aren't REALLY happy. You aren't any closer to where you want to be then before, if anything, you're more desensitized. At that moment you think, maybe I should change things up. Maybe I should follow this feeling I have to be more polite, respectful, dedicated, sweet, sincere, serving? Maybe I should pray more, read more, make me a better me more. Maybe I should date more? Maybe I should stop toying with people's feelings? Maybe I should step up and be more res . . .

*** BEEP BEEP BEEP ***

FWD: Pool party tomorrow night at Jon's house. Good food, loud music, and hot people! See you there!

. . . I'll figure it out later.

1 comments:

Kylee said...

I agree so much! Every once in a while I go on a complete electronic fast and make sure my real relationships are doing okay, I check in face to face, conversations on couches and corner booths.

Post a Comment